What is the difference between curtains and drapes?
A person shopping for window coverings may wonder whether to buy curtains or drapes. There are a few differences between curtains and drapes for shoppers to keep in mind. The following reveals some features of each window covering.
The Differences Between Curtains and Drapes
- Drapes are a more formal window covering than a set of curtains, that’s it.
- Drapes tend to be made of Heavier Fabric than a set of curtains.
- Curtains are seen on windows in many different places such as Offices, Dormitory Rooms,
Restaurants, and Homes especially on Small Windows & Rental Places. Just something to cover
- Drapes are seen in more Formal rooms such as Living Area, Dining Room, Master Bed
Room areas in an Elegant Home or High-End Restaurants and Hotels.
- Drapes are usually longer than the standard set of curtains.
- People sometimes use heavy drapes to keep the Hot / Cold Air from entering the home through
- Curtains are easily taken down and put up while drapes require more effort because of their
length and thickness of the fabric.
- In many cases, Drapes must be taken to the dry cleaner for regular cleaning because of their
- Curtains can often be washed at home in the delicate cycle of a washing machine.
- Drapes are often operated by a drawstring on one side of a window.
- Oftentimes, curtains are opened and closed by gently pulling the fabric.
- Depending on the fabric, drapes may be steam cleaned whereas most curtains cannot be
cleaned in this way.
- Generally, drapes are floor length while curtains drop to just below a window sill.
- Drapes usually have a backing on them that gives them structure while hanging on a rod / track
while curtains are made to move in the breeze.
Similarities Shared by Curtains and Drapes
- Curtains and Drapes are available in many styles, patterns, and appealing colors.
- They can both be closed or opened in front of a window.
- Both window coverings are available in different lengths and widths.
- Both types of window coverings are made by a variety of designers.
- There is a choice of top construction including pinch pleats, back tabs, tie top, and others for
both sorts of window coverings.
- Both drapes and curtains can be held back with decorative Tie Backs to allow the sunlight in
through the window.
- Well-constructed Drapes & Curtains can be maintained for many years in a home or business.
- Both drapes and curtains can be found for prices that fit the budget of a household.